top 10 list that makes me feel good

I haven't done much writing lately.....and I'm finding that this is not so good for me.  I do better when I am writing....I need to do more writing....and walking.  I also feel better and think better and function better when I am going for long, brisk, therapeutic walks every day.....what does it for you?  What makes everything run more smoothly?  What is the go to thing that makes you feel like you at your best?

I've been making a list of things that make me feel very good about myself.  Wholesome.  Earth-keeping.  Responsible.  Colorful and vibrant even.....I'm gonna share my list and challenge you all to come up with one too.

1.  Re-usable grocery bags.  I love these things.  You buy it once and use it over and over again.  I have a variety of shapes and sizes and I stuff them all in a big Trader Joe's one and when I get to the store I shove the whole bag under the bottom shelf of the shopping cart.  When I finish shopping I haul it out and put it on top of the mound of food and household purchases and delight in watching my checker and bagger find the best bag for the best products.  When I get home it is so much easier to take things in and pack them away!

2.  A trip to the library.  I did this yesterday because I had scheduled a visit there and had some extra time.  I wandered the adult fiction section and chose 2 books.  I hope I read them.  They both look really interesting......I love to read but I really struggle with making the time to read.  I feel like its rude to sit and read a book while my family is present in the room....it feels so private.  Privacy is something I have not had much of for the past 20 years or so as a parent.....but who knows, maybe I can get through at least 1 of the books?  I also chose some books to read with and to Josiah.  As child number 5 we have read and re-read ALL the good books we own.....and I want him to want to read.....

3.  Stopping at the crosswalk when someone is standing there waiting to cross.  Seriously people.  It's a law (I think) to stop if someone is waiting to cross.  If I see someone standing on the curb and I dramatically slow down to a stop, I usually do it about 20 feet back just for effect.....and then smile smugly when the traffic going the opposite direction FINALLY gets a hint and stops as well.  The pedestrian crosses, waves in gratitude.....and I feel good about myself.

4.  Growing fresh herbs for cooking.  In Iowa in winter, it is very hopeless to try to make a dish with fresh herbs.  If they happen to have them at the local grocery store they are crazy-spendy!  And usually look really pathetic.....I ordered a kit online for $20 to grow basil and mint.  I wanted cilantro too but that was another $10.  Seriously.

5.  Reading poetry.  It makes me feel cultured and wholesome.  I did this more when I was younger and more idealistic.  The jaded, tired, middle age woman I am now just reflects with melancholy on those days when I read and purchased books of poetry.....because I could.

6.  Displaying artwork made by my children.  This one is the best.....painting and sculpting and cutting and gluing.....I love their art.  It is worth more to me than all the expensive relics in a museum.....

7.  Making soup from scratch.  I love, love, love to make soup.  I love everything about it.  I like hunting for the recipe, buying the ingredients, chopping and dicing, smelling the aromatics from a big pot on the stove...the stirring and seasoning and waiting and longing of a good soup.  Isaac declared mid-December that he was tired of soup and wanted a soup break.  He is actually a foodie so that is an indicator of how much soup I make when the weather turns cold.  Lots and lots and lots of soup......I had soup for lunch.  Cabbage soup.  I plan to make butternut squash soup tomorrow because I believe I will be having a mental health day and soup is a great addition to that.  I also have all the fixings for a lentil, veggie and pasta soup so that may be coming later as well......soup is the best.

8.  Orchestra concerts.  They make me feel healthy and cultured and filled with sensory goodness.  I don't indulge often because they usually conflict with ball games and bedtimes and family activities.  Precious, however, has really embraced orchestra and her string base.  As a reward for those weekly 7:30am lessons in the cold, dark mornings, she and I will be attending a local orchestra symphony friday night together.  I can't wait.

9.  Supporting the local farmer's market.  This makes me feel wholesome, responsible and organic.  I don't buy fresh farmer's market produce often enough because it it sparse here in the midwest....and expensive.....but when I do indulge and shop I always feel really, really good about myself.

10.  Mental Health Day.  As I hinted at above, I plan mental health day sometimes.  I'm totally feeling it either tomorrow or Friday this week.  Mental Health Day is the best.  I take a longer shower, drink a second cup of coffee....write or nap or shop or read......and I listen to my body and my mind and my heart and I respond lovingly ,,,,,to me.  I pray and I read the bible.....and I take good, good care....of me.

There it is.  Top 10.  How I respect what I feel is wholesome and healthy and cup-filling......now its your turn.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Turning on a new lamp

Practice makes perfect....not really...practice is practice.