on Love

My friend  texted me last night and asked if I could keep her toddler while she attended an older child's wrestling event.....my answer was easy and quick.  "Bring him on over".  I was kind of laughing to myself because it's been a crazy chaotic holiday here.  We got Precious a puppy.  We had family here from out of town, we did respite care for a toddler and the fam ran into some bad weather so she stayed longer.  They boys went out to push snow the other night and then brought a couch to a family in need before they crashed to sleep this morning.....and I've been slowly trying to clean up and put away after our Christmas parties and gifting....and people..my garbage is insanely full and overflowing.....and so is my heart.

Claire and her long-standing boyfriend Jonah got engaged the day after Christmas and I was invited to participate in the surprise.....my heart is so, so full. 

Our little foster love this weekend is showing me how fragile the heart is and how easily it is filled with fear.  And forgiveness.  And trust.  She overwhelms me.  Today her family came to get her and take her home and that's ok because she is a toddler and I'm super tired......but still.....

As I said "yes" to my friend's last-minute request to keep her little guy for a couple of hours, I heard these words from the Lord (as I was quietly whispering.....am I crazy?  I must be crazy.......)

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal".  1 Corinthians 13:1. 

We tried to put the new puppy in the crate today because I was overwhelmed and had had enough and needed to not keep poop/pee vigil and keep a toddler alive and do all the rest of it  and he just howled and cried and it was horrible.  Later on, Precious set up camp in the crate with her dog and they have been hanging out there daily.  She is trying to get him comfortable with the crate so that when he goes in he won't be so sad.....and that is love. 

I definitely don't want to be a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  I don't want to use the words that people want to hear or even the songs of angels if I don't have love.  Sometimes love is easy and effortless and sometimes it is just a bit more than that.....but love is love is love.

We celebrated Christmas this year because of love.  Jesus' love.  God's love for us and His great and mighty plan for people.  Love came to Earth to make my life matter.....and even on days that feel just a little bit crazy......I choose love. 

For a few more days we will have a Christmas tree lit up, and decorations around the house.  We will enjoy some days home from school and work....and one of these days the extra littles won't be here, the puppy may stop pooping and peeing in the house, the kid will return to school and this house will settle down again.  I will be here.  I will take a few deep breaths and read 1 Corith 13:1 again as a prayer of gratitude...and the Lord Almighty and I will have some time to worship together.  It's about Love. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Turning on a new lamp

Practice makes perfect....not really...practice is practice.