on Sacred Spaces....

I'm thinking tonight about sacred spaces.  The dictionary calls them:  defined places, a space distinguished from other spaces....a sacred place focuses attention on the forms, objects and actions in it and reveals them as bearers of religious meaning.  (dictionary.com)

Today I found myself in several different sacred spaces. I knew that they were sacred because I was moved there.  I was changed.  I understood something new and deep about someone else that caused me to know God better.  Several times.  Today.  How lucky am I?  How grateful am I to get to live a life that takes me to sacred spaces over and over again.....do you get to go there too?  If not, please figure out how to live this life too.  It is so worth it.

Here are just a few of the sacred spaces I found today.
1.  Tonight we cleaned out Spike the Bearded Dragon's tank.  It was pretty nasty....and Roger and I tackled it together.  Once cleaned, we decorated it a bit for Christmas and then called out to Josiah to bring Spike back.  Spike had a hard day today.  He shed his scales today....his whole body....and we put a new UVB light in his tank which apparently is necessary and had been missing.  When he was back in his clean and festive tank he was literally running around, checking things out.  He licked the christmas balls I hung from his vines, and he looked at every new thing we put in there.....and my heart was happy that he seemed to be happy with all of our efforts.  But that wasn't the sacred space.  I filled a dish with water and set it in there and this little guy climbed up, dipped his head in and he DRANK.  Deeply.  Long.  He stayed there for a really long time drinking.....and that was the sacred space.  Guzzling down fresh water to fill him up after a long and stressful day.....feeling the life-giving water fill his little body in his happy little space.

2.  I accompanied someone to do something that was really painful and vulnerable and this person was brave and articulate and authentic.  I was so grateful to sit beside this person as an advocate and friend and I know full well I am not as brave.  The strength of human beings and the desire to live our best lives is inspiring to me.

3.  I spent a few moments at the local food pantry.  It was crazy busy and somewhat hectic.  People were leaving with carts full of food and were happy and laughing and waving and greeting one another.  Familiar faces who are there together many weeks.....and they all were grateful to get food because this pantry is only open on Wednesdays and the next 2 weeks are Christmas and New Years.  So no food pantry.  Not until January 8.  Consider making some hefty donations to Hope Food Pantry for January 8.  I'm guessing they will be very busy.  I also noticed today that people were shopping the clothing and home decor and toys with great interest.  I felt a conviction to go through my clutter.  I want to look at my books and puzzles and coloring books and toys and other home decorating things that are in tubs and boxes and storage totes.....because someone else might find them to be a treasure.  My conviction and my nudge to move feel spiritual.....and sacred.  It is a sacred space.

4.  This last one is actually a missed sacred space.  It is a thought of a space that didn't happen.  I didn't take the time this morning to sit in the quietness of my day.  I didn't open my bible and take deep breaths and listen for God to lead and speak today.  I didn't worship before I moved into my day.  I missed a sacred space.  I missed a chance to ask Him to reveal His will for my day, to guide me to His plan.....and I'm pretty sure I missed some really good stuff today.  I did not, however, miss it all.  I did capture a few sacred spaces.  I hope I can start tomorrow better.  I hope I can carve out that sacred space first thing, before the demands of the day begin.

For me, sacred spaces are in the every day work of the day.  They are God involved in our stuff, and God working and moving in me as I live my life and learn all that He wants to teach me about who He is, and who I am and who is around me.  Maybe tomorrow night I can think of 8 sacred spaces....twice as many as today!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Turning on a new lamp

Practice makes perfect....not really...practice is practice.